Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
Directions: Recommended dose 10 drops per day with water. 10 drops contain; Vitamin B2 as Riboflavin 5 Phosphate 1.6mg
Purified water, Riboflavin 5 Phosphate.
Vitamin B2 is one of the 8 water-soluble B vitamins, meaning the body cannot store them. Riboflavin is destroyed by light and heat and in an alkaline medium. It is absorbed in the upper part of the small intestine, is increased with food and delayed on an empty stomach. There is decreased absorption in cases of gall bladder or liver disease and are associated with decreased dietary intake of meat and dairy products. Folate and Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) need R5P for conversion to their bioavailable forms, Methyltetrahydrofolate and Pyridoxal 5 Phosphate respectively.
The active forms (the forms in which the body uses them) of Riboflavin are synthesised in the mitochondria, forming Riboflavin 5 Phosphate which is then converted further to Flavine Adenine Dinucleotide (FAD) Metabolics Vitamin B2 is in its bioavailable form Riboflavin 5 phosphate.
What does Vitamin B2 do?
- It contributes to normal energy yielding metabolism – Vitamin B2 is required in its coenzyme form (FAD) for participation in the Citric Acid cycle to produce energy.
- It contributes to normal functioning of the nervous system- Again in its Coenzyme form, FAD , Vitamin B2 is needed for the monoamine oxidase enzyme, which functions in the metabolism of neurotransmitters ( brain chemicals ) for normal functioning of the nervous system.
- It contributes to the maintenance of normal red blood cells- Vitamin B2 improves iron absorption and riboflavin deficiency induces anaemia , where there are immature red blood cells.
- It contributes to the maintenance of normal skin and mucous membranes–both acute and chronic deficiencies result in mucocutaneous lesions that disappear after adequate doses of B2 are given.
- It contributes to the maintenance of normal vision- Riboflavin deficiency is associated with decreased activity of the enzyme glutathione reductase, the enzyme responsible for the production of glutathione. Reduced glutathione protects the lens of the eye from oxidative damage and is decreased in cataracts. Riboflavin deficiency can cause conjunctivitis with vascularisation of the cornea and opacity of the lens (cataracts).
- It contributes to the normal metabolism of iron. Iron metabolism is impaired in riboflavin deficiency. The utilisation of iron reserves from the intracellular protein ferritin requires riboflavin. Riboflavin is required for haemoglobin synthesis.
- It contributes to the protection of cells from oxidative stress. Vitamin B2 participates in many reactions where the cofactors P-5-P and FAD act as electron carriers, protecting the DNA, proteins and lipids from oxidative damage.
- It contributes to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue As Vitamin B2 is involved in manufacturing energy adequate doses of B2 contribute to normal metabolism resulting in energy.
Deficiency of Vitamin B2
Clinical signs and symptoms may appear 3-8 months after deficiency. These include sores at the corners of the mouth, sore tongue, dermatitis numbness of the hands or decreased sensitivity to touch, temperature and vibration and visual changes. There may be the tiredness and fatigue associated with anaemia. Alcohol decreases the bioavailability and absorption of riboflavin.
- Orders that are in stock are dispatched daily at 2pm Monday – Friday.
- Orders placed before 2pm Monday to Friday will be dispatched the same day.
- Orders placed after 2pm Monday to Friday will be dispatched the next working day.
- As such, orders placed after 2pm Friday will be dispatched the following Monday.
- Orders will not be dispatched on Bank Holidays or weekends.
For Standard Domestic Orders: We use Royal Mail’s Tracked 48hr delivery service as standard. Royal Mail state a delivery guideline of 1-2 working days for this service, however during busier periods (such as Christmas) this may not always be possible. If your order has not arrived after 2 working days from the date of dispatch please contact us. We have tracking numbers for this service and will be able to assist you in locating your order.
For Expedited Domestic Orders (Next-Day Delivery): Provided that we have received your order by 2pm, we will process and dispatch your order the same day using Royal Mail’s Tracked 24hr delivery service. This service aims to deliver your parcel within 24hrs of the dispatch time – in some instances this may not be possible and delivery may fall within a 48hr period. If you have not received your order after 1 day from the dispatch date please contact us. This is a tracked and insured service and we will be able to assist you in locating your order.
For Standard International Orders: We use Royal Mail International Track (+ Sign), dependent on what the destination country accepts. Royal Mail state a 3-5 working day delivery guideline for this service within Europe, and a 5-7 working day guideline worldwide. However, we have found this is rarely the case outside of major cities, especially during busier periods (such as Christmas) this may not always be possible. This is a tracked and insured service, please contact us if you have not received your delivery within the above stated time-frames and we will assist you in locating your order.
For Expedited International Orders: We are able to offer expedited international shipping worldwide respected couriers. We can use DHL or another courier of your choice, but we are likely to get the best deal from DHL. Please feel free to use the 'Contact Us' form to ask for a DHL quote for your order.
We are able to offer expedited delivery worldwide using various couriers; this is something that we will examine on a case-by-case basis. Please email us and we will investigate your delivery options and let you know what is possible.
If you have selected a shipping method that does not include tracking/insurance then you accept and agree that in the instance that the parcel is lost or delayed, you will not be entitled to a refund or a replacement product, as we will be unable to make a claim for the loss.
We retain proof of postage at all times and reserve the right to use a different shipping method than you have selected in order to give your order added security in certain circumstances (e.g. for extremely high value orders we may upgrade to Courier delivery). In the majority of situations we will respect the customers chosen shipping method. We retain proof of postage for 180 days. After this time it may not be possible to retrieve your proof of postage.