How to Use
LEAD INSPECTOR™ “Premium” Lead Test Kits are the only patented lead test kits on the market that employs 3 different methods for accurate testing.
Each kit will allow you to perform all these 3 different methods for testing on all items listed above! These methods include:
Rapid Test Procedure (qualitative)
Patented “Special Test” Procedure (semi-quantitative patented leach method)
Test for Lead in Water
Rapid Test Procedure - Use this procedure to quickly test children’s toys, dry painted surfaces/paint chips, toy cars, baby bibs, children’s lunch boxes, pottery/ceramic ware, mini-blinds, plumbing/lead pipe/solder, bath tub glazes, furniture, food can seams, antiques, ceramic tile and other surfaces for lead.
• Clean the area of any dust or dirt.
• Insert a swab into the Indicator Vial (for 8 and 24 test packs) or dispense 4 drops of Indicator Solution onto a swab tip (for 100 test packs).
• Gently rub the surface to be tested with the cotton swab tip for about 30-60 seconds. If the surface or swab tip changes color, lead is present.
Special test Procedure (Patented Leach Method) - Use this procedure to quantify the approximate lead release in pottery/ceramic ware, fabrics (natural & man-made fibers), multi-layered paint or paint chips, mini-blinds, toys, children’s jewelry, Mexican candies, make up and candle wicks. This method is great to test practically anything for lead.
• Wash, rinse and dry the item you wish to test
• Fill the item with vinegar (or immerse the item/sample in vinegar). Allow to stand for a minimum 4 hours.
• Test resulting vinegar with Indicator Solution supplied in the kit.
• Compare color produced to the following chart: click to enlarge photo icon below product image
Use this procedure to quantify the approximate lead release in garden/lawn soil, dust/dirt, play sand and renovation/construction dust.
• Place a small sample soil or dust in a lead-free container (plastic or glass will do). To collect a dust sample, simply moisten a swab tip with warm tap water and rub on dust to collect a representative sample. To collect a soil sample, scrape off ~1/8″ to 1/4″ of the surface layer and mix well.
• Add some vinegar (any clear vinegar will do) to cover the sample. Allow to stand for a minimum 4 hours.
• Test resulting vinegar with Indicator Solution.
• Compare color produced to the chart noted above
For testing thick paint with multiple layers - Take a small paint chip (or scrape off a sample from an inconspicuous place) and allow to sit in vinegar for 4 hours. The vinegar (mild acid) will penetrate the inner & outer layers and dissolve lead, if any. Then simply test as noted above. Complete instructions for this procedure and others are included in the kit.
Lead in water - Instant test for lead in water. Compare color produced to the chart shown above for approx. parts per million (ppm) lead. Get a good sample of potable water by allowing tap water to sit in the plumbing pipes overnite or over the weekend (this will give you the “worst case scenario” for dissolved lead in your water supply). Then fill a large plastic pitcher with water. Then test a small sample of the water by adding Indicator Solution. Note: The lower detectable limit (sensitivity) of the kit is 1 ppm (part per million) lead which is above most current guidelines of ~10-50 ppb lead in water. This test will alert users to high levels of lead in potable water that will require immediate action.
- Orders that are in stock are dispatched daily at 2pm Monday – Friday.
- Orders placed before 2pm Monday to Friday will be dispatched the same day.
- Orders placed after 2pm Monday to Friday will be dispatched the next working day.
- As such, orders placed after 2pm Friday will be dispatched the following Monday.
- Orders will not be dispatched on Bank Holidays or weekends.
For Standard Domestic Orders: We use Royal Mail’s Tracked 48hr delivery service as standard. Royal Mail state a delivery guideline of 1-2 working days for this service, however during busier periods (such as Christmas) this may not always be possible. If your order has not arrived after 2 working days from the date of dispatch please contact us. We have tracking numbers for this service and will be able to assist you in locating your order.
For Expedited Domestic Orders (Next-Day Delivery): Provided that we have received your order by 2pm, we will process and dispatch your order the same day using Royal Mail’s Tracked 24hr delivery service. This service aims to deliver your parcel within 24hrs of the dispatch time – in some instances this may not be possible and delivery may fall within a 48hr period. If you have not received your order after 1 day from the dispatch date please contact us. This is a tracked and insured service and we will be able to assist you in locating your order.
For Standard International Orders: We use Royal Mail International Track (+ Sign), dependent on what the destination country accepts. Royal Mail state a 3-5 working day delivery guideline for this service within Europe, and a 5-7 working day guideline worldwide. However, we have found this is rarely the case outside of major cities, especially during busier periods (such as Christmas) this may not always be possible. This is a tracked and insured service, please contact us if you have not received your delivery within the above stated time-frames and we will assist you in locating your order.
For Expedited International Orders: We are able to offer expedited international shipping worldwide respected couriers. We can use DHL or another courier of your choice, but we are likely to get the best deal from DHL. Please feel free to use the 'Contact Us' form to ask for a DHL quote for your order.
We are able to offer expedited delivery worldwide using various couriers; this is something that we will examine on a case-by-case basis. Please email us and we will investigate your delivery options and let you know what is possible.
If you have selected a shipping method that does not include tracking/insurance then you accept and agree that in the instance that the parcel is lost or delayed, you will not be entitled to a refund or a replacement product, as we will be unable to make a claim for the loss.
We retain proof of postage at all times and reserve the right to use a different shipping method than you have selected in order to give your order added security in certain circumstances (e.g. for extremely high value orders we may upgrade to Courier delivery). In the majority of situations we will respect the customers chosen shipping method. We retain proof of postage for 180 days. After this time it may not be possible to retrieve your proof of postage.