Amalgam Illness: Diagnosis and Treatment
What you can do to get better
How your doctor can help
by Andrew Hall Cutler, PhD, PE
Amalgam Illness: Diagnosis and Treatment starts with a detailed explanation of why to consider amalgam illness to be something that some people must have by comparing the well known statistics for how much mercury people absorb from their fillings to the well known statistics of how sensitive different members of a population are to a given toxin. This is for people who really don't know if they believe in amalgam illness or not (the other material available is rather sensational and I can't blame anyone reading it for having questions) before going any further.
Amalgam Illness: Diagnosis and Treatment discusses how to deal with physicians if you think you have a controversial disease - especially if you have the great "luck" to be covered by a managed care plan.
A key section is devoted to diagnosis - how to tell if you actually have amalgam illness instead of something else. It is also possible to be mercury poisoned from something other than amalgam, and the testing and examination described here is diagnostic regardless of the source.
How to get the dental work done safely if you have decided amalgam fillings are the problem is briefly described - there is a robust industry of amalgam free dentists if you know how to look for them. The use of drugs and nutritional supplements to get the mercury out of your system is carefully presented- there are some important factors here that are not well described in the previous books on the subject and not all physicians who claim they know what to do actually give good advice.
Then comes what turns out to be the major section of the book - how to treat all the related health conditions amalgam illness can cause so as to relieve them while mercury detoxification proceeds. Since amalgam illness is not widely recognized in the medical community, most people with it get pretty sick before they get motivated to bounce around between doctors and eventually end up in front of one who tells them about it. So most victims have pretty serious, unpleasant health problems (like fibromyalgia or severe allergies) and they really need to make these STOP for the year or two it can take to get fully detoxed and let your body heal.
There are extensive tables of what to use for different conditions, a description of all the drugs and nutritional supplements suggested in the book, and appendices covering things like what the assorted clinical laboratory tests you might get actually mean, what other helpful books are that you might use, and supporting information like what the chelating agents are and how they work.
Hair Test Interpretation: Finding Hidden Toxicities is a practical book. The book starts out telling you how to interpret a hair test for mercury and other heavy metals. It provides a step by step discussion of this with figures to make this easy to do. It gives examples using actual hair test results from real people.
Mercury interferes with how the hair element results come out ? mercury is often low and other minerals take unusual values. It is crucial for proper hair test interpretation to know how to recognize mercurys characteristic signature.
Mercury often causes retention of certain minerals. Arsenic, antimony, tin, titanium, zirconium and aluminum are elements many people retain too much of when they really have a mercury problem.
Hair tests are worth doing because a surprising number of people diagnosed with incurable chronic health conditions actually turn out to have a heavy metal problem. Heavy metal problems are easy to correct. Hair testing allows the underlying problem to be identified and the chronic health condition often disappears with proper detoxification.
Table of Contents
- Why hair tests can be confusing
- Mercury causes deranged mineral transport
- The counting rules - how to pick up mercury problems
- Medical textbooks say many terrible conditions can be from heavy metals and hair tests show it
- What they say about Parkinsons disease
- What they say about childhood developmental disorders
- What they say about ALS (Lou Gherigs disease)
- What they say about schizophrenia
- What they say about cancer
- These chapters contain case histories and hair tests from people diagnosed with the condition in question who are actually toxic, and the outcomes of conventional or alternative treatments where available.
- Heavy metal poisoning is often missed despite textbook coverage
- Mercury poisoning signs and symptoms
- Why worry about heavy metals?
- Sources of exposure to toxic metals
- Other toxic elements ? signs and symptoms: Aluminum (Al), Antimony (Sb), Arsenic (As), Beryllium (Be), Bismuth (Bi), Cadmium (Cd), Gadolinium (Gd), Gold (Au), Lead (Pb), Nickel (Ni), Palladium (Pd), Platinum (Pt), Silver (Ag), Thallium (Tl), Thorium (Th), Tin (Sn), Titanium (Ti), Tungsten (W), Uranium (U)
- Meaning of essential and other element results: Calcium (Ca), Magnesium (Mg), Relationships between Calcium and Magnesium , Sodium (Na), Potassium (K), Relationships between Sodium, Potassium, Calcium and Magnesium, Barium (B), Boron (B), Chromium (Cr), Cobalt (Co), Copper (Cu), Germanium (Ge), Iodine (I), Iron (Fe), Lithium (Li), Manganese (Mn), Molybdenum (Mo), Phosphorus (P), Rubidium (Rb), Selenium (Se), Silicon (Si), Strontium (Sr), Sulfur (S), Vanadium (V), Zinc (Zn), Zirconium (Zr).
- Case summaries and example hair tests
- You need to be sure to get the right test!
- Metabolic defects - manganese
- Metabolic defects - copper
- Sometimes mercury is high and
- mineral transport is normal
- Mercury runs in the family
- Hair tests do not improve without chelation
- Hair tests do improve with chelation
- Hair testing and shampoo
- Ambiguous hair tests can be confirmed
- by other means
- Toxic people can have normal hair tests
- Mercury and uranium in an MS like case
- Mercury and silver do a job on vision
- Many autistic children are toxic
- Siblings sometimes have different toxins
- Chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia
- are usually mercury
- What to do about heavy metals (chelation etc.)
A few of the more common problems that can be due to toxicity:
Autism and PDD
PMS & female problems
Essential element levels contain much useful information about hormones as well as nutritional problems. High hair levels do not always mean high body levels ? interpretation is specific to each element. Some of the essential elements can be toxic if they show high hair level, others actually show high hair levels when the body is deficient and needs more of them. Excessive stress, poor digestion, adrenal issues and thyroid problems all show up in hair tests long before they can be identified by other laboratory methods.
There are over fifty example hair tests with background information and interpretation. All of these tests are actual results from real people, with complete details of their health situation, what they are doing about it, and in many cases how they responded to different treatments. Several families are presented with hair tests and health histories for all members, one including identical twins. Several of the cases have before and after hair tests showing the effects of different treatment regimens on test results.
Hair Test Interpretation: Finding Hidden Toxicities contains a discussion of what to do based on the test results, e. g. how to chelate heavy metals.
Useful information excerpted from Hair Test Interpretation: Finding Hidden Toxicities:
Potassium and sodium up with calcium and magnesium down means too much adrenaline but not enough cortisol. Potassium and sodium down with calcium and magnesium up means not enough cortisol, adrenaline and thyroid hormone. The usual blood tests wont identify problems in time to avoid prolonged misery.
Children accumulate antimony much more readily than adults. Children with antimony problems dont like to be touched or looked at. Antimony is the flame retardant in childrens pajamas, mattresses, and much carpeting and upholstery. Antimony causes heart problems. Hair is a good measure of antimony.
Lead is associated with reduced intelligence, behavior problems, learning disabilities, ADHD, lazy eye (amblyopia) and developmental delays in children. Adults may experience cognitive decline, gout, high blood pressure, vision problems, miscarriages, depression, irritability and sleep disturbances. Lead reduces long term memory, mercury reduces short term memory.
Bismuth may cause neurological and hormone problems. It is in many make-up preparations, stomach remedies and diaper rash balms.
Silver toxicity causes emotional lability and theatrical behavior.. Intellectual impairment and digestive disturbances are also possible. Vision problems and sensitivity to small glasses prescription changes occur with silver and arsenic, while mercury only causes vision problems
High hair zinc usually indicates low body levels. Vegetarian diets and modern foods are low in zinc. High carbohydrate intake reduces zinc levels. Zinc deficiency causes intellectual impairment, growth failure and immune deficiency. 10% of todays children are believed to be zinc deficient.
Calcium levels in hair often move oppositely to body inventory. High hair calcium suggests calcium loss such as occurs in osteoporosis. People with high hair calcium often need to take more calcium.
- Orders that are in stock are dispatched daily at 2pm Monday – Friday.
- Orders placed before 2pm Monday to Friday will be dispatched the same day.
- Orders placed after 2pm Monday to Friday will be dispatched the next working day.
- As such, orders placed after 2pm Friday will be dispatched the following Monday.
- Orders will not be dispatched on Bank Holidays or weekends.
For Standard Domestic Orders: We use Royal Mail’s Tracked 48hr delivery service as standard. Royal Mail state a delivery guideline of 1-2 working days for this service, however during busier periods (such as Christmas) this may not always be possible. If your order has not arrived after 2 working days from the date of dispatch please contact us. We have tracking numbers for this service and will be able to assist you in locating your order.
For Expedited Domestic Orders (Next-Day Delivery): Provided that we have received your order by 2pm, we will process and dispatch your order the same day using Royal Mail’s Tracked 24hr delivery service. This service aims to deliver your parcel within 24hrs of the dispatch time – in some instances this may not be possible and delivery may fall within a 48hr period. If you have not received your order after 1 day from the dispatch date please contact us. This is a tracked and insured service and we will be able to assist you in locating your order.
For Standard International Orders: We use Royal Mail International Track (+ Sign), dependent on what the destination country accepts. Royal Mail state a 3-5 working day delivery guideline for this service within Europe, and a 5-7 working day guideline worldwide. However, we have found this is rarely the case outside of major cities, especially during busier periods (such as Christmas) this may not always be possible. This is a tracked and insured service, please contact us if you have not received your delivery within the above stated time-frames and we will assist you in locating your order.
For Expedited International Orders: We are able to offer expedited international shipping worldwide respected couriers. We can use DHL or another courier of your choice, but we are likely to get the best deal from DHL. Please feel free to use the 'Contact Us' form to ask for a DHL quote for your order.
We are able to offer expedited delivery worldwide using various couriers; this is something that we will examine on a case-by-case basis. Please email us and we will investigate your delivery options and let you know what is possible.
If you have selected a shipping method that does not include tracking/insurance then you accept and agree that in the instance that the parcel is lost or delayed, you will not be entitled to a refund or a replacement product, as we will be unable to make a claim for the loss.
We retain proof of postage at all times and reserve the right to use a different shipping method than you have selected in order to give your order added security in certain circumstances (e.g. for extremely high value orders we may upgrade to Courier delivery). In the majority of situations we will respect the customers chosen shipping method. We retain proof of postage for 180 days. After this time it may not be possible to retrieve your proof of postage.